After some light comedic chatter with a work colleague I got wondering about names….what I like to be called, what I am called, what I don’t like to be called and what I am called despite any of the above!
Throughout my many years gracing the planet I have had my name spelt a myriad of ways –
- Emilie (fair enough, I let them get away with this one)
- Emely (what…?)
- Emaly (may as well just call me email.)
- Emil (this wasn’t an accident, it was said continuously. Sigh.)
- Emma (again, I let this one slip)
- Amy (how even?!)
- Emmaly (no.)
- Sarah (just stop.)
As the relatively (un)famous Ting Ting’s song so very aptly goes – THAT’S NOT MY NAME, THAT’S NOT MY NAME!
So why does it bother me so much…? After all, I find it hilarious and I am the first person to admit that I pretty much answer to anything! It’s not like I even live up to the true meaning of Emily (Industrious; striving – LOL) and sadly there isn’t a name that means lazy (CORRECTION – having now Google’d it the name Segenam means lazy, but I don’t want to be called Segenam.).
As an aid, and just for the record –
What do I like being called / answer to?
- Clark / Clarky / Clarkie
- Tinks / Tinkerbell
- Pretty much anything except ‘hun’.
What do I NOT like / answer to?
- Hun – if you call me hun I will cringe so hard my eyes fall out.